6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup (5 oz) natural, unblanched whole almonds
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Generously butter or grease the shell portions of the madeleine pans
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, browning it lightly for extra flavor.
4. In a food processor, pulse the almonds and sugar together until the almonds are ground. Be careful not to over-process.
5. Place the sugar-almond mixture in a medium bowl.
6. Using a wooden spoon, stir the flour and salt into the almond-sugar mixture.
7. Whisk in the egg whites and almond extract and blend well.
8. Slowly add the melted butter while stirring the batter with the whisk.
9. Transfer the batter to a glass measuring cup or a small pitcher an pour the batter directly into each shell, filling each 3/4 full.
10. Bake in the center of the oven for about 12 –15 minutes, or until well browned around the edges.
11. Let cool in the pans for 1—2 minutes, then turn the pans over a wire rack to release the Madeleines to cool completely.
Store in an airtight container. May be frozen
Measure 1/4 cup of eggs into a bowl, then beat in the sugar and the
flour. When thoroughly blended leave it to rest for 10 mins. Meanwhile,
melt the butter in a 6 cup saucepan bring to the boil and let it brown
slightly (this smells wonderful). Place 1 1/2 tbsp in a small bowl and set
aside. Stir the rest of the butter over ice until cool but still liquid.
Blend it and the last of the eggs into the batter with the lemon juice,
rind and vanilla. Preheat oven to 375F.
Bake about 15 mins at 375 until cakes are lightly browned with a little hump, unmold onto the rack.
Turn shell side up and dust with sugar.