Christine Joy's Banana Bread
2 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
4 cups flour
1 cup butter milk (scant 1 cup milk + 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon soda
4 to 6 very ripe banana, mashed
1. Preheat oven to 350°
2. Cream together shortening and sugar until fluffy; add eggs and mix well.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and soda, then add to creamed mixture alternately with sour milk, mixing well after each addition.
4. Grease loaf pans, using waxed paper in bottom of the pans so the loaves will turn out cleanly when done. (This recipe yields two large loaves, 3 medium or several small loaves.)
5. Pour batter into pans filling no more than 2/3 full
6. Baking time depends on size of pans used; large loaf pans bake for a little over an hour, mini-loaf pans take about 45 minutes… Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in center of loaf; if it comes out clean, banana bread is done.
7. Let stand 5 minutes, then turn out of pans.
8. Let cool completely then store tightly wrapped in refrigerator or freezer..