(especially for Aspen)
For Cake Layers:
1 Duncan Hines
“Moist Deluxe” Devils Food Cake Mix
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine ingredients, mix well then beat fro 2-3 minutes with and electric mixer.
3. Spray 2 - 9” round layer cake pans or 3 - 8” round layer cake pans with “Pam for Baking with Flour”, coating evenly.
4. Pour prepared mix into pans and spread evenly.
5. Bake on center rack of oven for about 35 minutes for 9” pans or 25 - 30 minutes for 8” pans, until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
6. Remove from oven and cool in pans for 5 - 10 minutes, then hold cooling rack on top of cake and invert cake and rack as one. Carefully remove pan from cake.
7. Allow to cool to room temperature, then place cakes in freezer on cooling racks just until they are frozen firmly.
8. Remove from freezer and slice each cake into two or three 1/2 - 3/4 inch layers. Wrap each layer and return to freezer until ready to frost.
2 Pound Pkg.
1. Cream butter with an electric mixer on high speed until soft and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla and beat well.
3. Add powdered sugar, about a cup at a time, alternately with cream until you have used all the powdered sugar and just enough cream to make a moderately stiff frosting. Beat well.
Assemble cake on a cookie sheet (that will fit into the freezer) to catch the chocolate chips as you are pressing them into the sides.
1. Remove cake layers from freezer and layer alternately with frosting, ending with a layer of frosting on top. Coat sides with frosting.
2. Press Chocolate chips into frosting on sides of cake.
3. Top with remaining chips and chopped chocolate bar, pressing into frosting.
4. Freeze the cake overnight..
5. Remove cake from freezer and slice. Wrap servings individually and store in freezer.
Remove from freezer and allow to thaw an hour or two before serving.