An almond filled pastry from Holland.
3 sticks (3/4lb) butter, chilled & cut into small pieces
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon rind
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon ice water
1-7 oz box Odense Almond Paste
10 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs (separated)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Garnish: cinnamon sugar
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
2 large cookie sheets
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour cookie sheets or line with
- To make the dough, use a food processor fitted with metal blade and add
the flour, butter and rind.
- Pulse until mixture has a small crumb-like texture. Add the water and
mix until dough will press together into a ball.
- Divide into 6 equal portions. Shape into 5” x 2” (approx.) rectangles.
Wrap and refrigerate.
- To make the filling, grate the Almond Paste on large hole side of
- Put in the processor bowl Almond Paste, sugar, egg yolks (reserving egg
whites) and cornstarch. Mix until the filling comes together.
- Cut into 6 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a 12“ rope (just like modeling clay.) Lightly
flour your hands if sticking. Place rolls on a tray, cover and set aside.
- Beat egg whites with one teaspoon of water until frothy. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one piece of refrigerated dough into
a 3” x 14” strip.
- Center one Almond Paste rope on dough strip about one inch in. Brush
short ends with egg white and fold in.
- Roll up long way, jelly roll style and trim if needed. Brush edge with
egg white, trim as needed and pinch seams together. Repeat until all bankets
- Place bankets 2” apart, seam side down, on cookie sheets. Brush with egg
whites and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Prick with a fork every inch, deep enough to pierce the dough and just
touch the filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool sheets on cake rakes. When bankets are cool, gently release from
pan and wrap well. Cut into desired pieces to serve.